Monday, June 27, 2005

Joy and Futility

Well, if you’ve read Kevin’s blog you already know most of what I did this weekend, so I won’t go into detail about that. I will say that spending the weekend with two people (Kevin and Amanda) who work nights gets very tiring. I didn’t get up until 11:30 today, if you can believe it. But we had a lot of fun, so it was worth it. I went to Batman Begins on Sunday with Amanda, and it was really good. One thing that kinda weirded me out, though, was Scarecrow. USF people, back me up on this one. Didn’t he look creepily like Elliott Graber? Maybe it’s just me, but I thought that was odd.

So, I was at work on Saturday when something struck me. Perhaps it’s just that I was in need of a break, but it just all seemed terribly futile to me. All I do all day is fill things that never stay full. I cut veggies to fill large buckets, then I use those to fill containers to fill the cooler. Then I use those to fill the case out in the store. Then we realize the bucket is empty and I start all over again. Fill the bucket to fill the cooler to fill the case. And none of them ever stay full. The darn customers keep buying the stuff we put out. And, of course, they’re supposed to buy it. If they didn’t I wouldn’t have a job. So I do want them to buy our product, I just get tired of filling things all the time. Don’t worry, this ranting is merely a result of the longest week of work I’ve had so far. But today is the middle of my weekend, since it’s Sunday and Monday that I don’t work most weeks. All things considered, I do like my job a lot. So much that I’ve told my boss I’ll work during the school year when I’m home on breaks. Which means that I have a guaranteed job next summer here at the salad bar. I’m thinking this is a good thing. Especially since I’m already getting more hours than any of the other young help, even though they’ve all been working longer than me.

As Kevin mentioned in his blog, we watched the Phantom of the Opera on Saturday night. Actually, we watched it once and then Amanda and I went through and watched our favorite parts again. In doing so, we randomly decided to have our own Bal Masque in my back yard sometime this summer. We even made our masks on Sunday. Complete silliness to be sure, but that’s really the point, isn’t it?

The Community Band concert on Sunday went really well. No major problems at least. And the Air Guard band sounded great, of course. All in all a good start to the season. Our next concert will be on the 4th of July, which means we’ll be playing on a Monday for the first time ever, but it shouldn’t be that big of a deal. It should actually make it even more fun. Then, of course, the next weekend is the Arts Festival, so there will be no concert. Instead, we all get to work a shift in the pizza booth to raise money for the band. And the rest of that weekend will be spent hanging out behind my mom’s booth and randomly walking the park. Hopefully I won’t be needed much at the salad bar that weekend. I still need to discuss that with my boss. Anyways, Festival details will follow in a future post.

And while we’re on the subject of blogging, I’d like to comment on a trend I’ve noticed. Now that we all have blogs, they are our main, if not only, form of communication. Now, having a way to keep in touch with you guys that I can’t see because you’re far away is good. I like being kept up to date on what’s going on with you this summer. But at the same time, I can’t help but wonder if this is entirely a good thing. It has made more personal forms of communication, such as a phone call or private email, somewhat obsolete. Now, this is not to say that we should ever stop with the blog and comment routine. I still like it. Perhaps I’m just being nostalgic or sentimental, but I sometimes miss the older, more personal forms or communication. Letters were replaced first by phone calls then by emails. Now we don’t even have to be specific about whom we’re talking to. Oh, we can label the post and tell people that a certain part is for them alone, but that doesn’t stop everyone else from seeing it too. And I mean Everyone. Honestly, anyone with a computer can read what we write here. And of course, if a perfect stranger stumbled across this blog, they probably wouldn’t really care what I have to say, but the thought is a bit unnerving anyway. And maybe I’m just being paranoid about the whole thing. Sometimes it’s hard to say. And I do often get paranoid about things that turn out to just be silliness, but it’s better safe than sorry. That’s why I try not to blog when I’m in a mood—I tend to be irrational and you would probably start to worry about me. That’s why I have a journal to put my thoughts in and talk to God through. Writing to Him brings me clarity and comfort. Writing those things here would bring me only worry that it would be taken the wrong way. That’s why my posts often seem so superficial and short. There are so many things that I can’t talk about. Or that I can’t bring myself to talk about in this medium. Perhaps this makes me a coward. Perhaps this makes me wise. Only time will tell. But don’t worry, the heart of Kim is not locked in a vault. But neither is it displayed in flashing lights.

-Kim

Days until Arts Festival: 13

4 comments:

Dianna said...

in some ways you're wise, in some ways paranoid. It's all the same to me...*wink*

I heard a good joke about paranoia the other day and I shall share it with you:

Did you hear the one about the paranoid dyslexic?

He always thought he was following someone.

bwhah.

Hope that made you smile. :D

Mom and I are contemplating coming up to Brookings for the Arts Festival and visiting you and your fam there. I'll let you know what we decide. It'd be a lot of fun.

And as to the Batman Begins question, I have yet to see it and I'll probably see War of the Worlds before I see Batman. But as far as the question goes, I went to the International Movie Database right after reading that question and found a picture of this guy named Cilian Murphy that could fit your description, but the character's name is Dr. Crane. Same person you meant or no?

And here's another thing I found out (wow this comment is getting long) - you'll get to see Joel this summer probably before I do. Apparently he took the job out at Judson. I found this out when I was helping out Marc and Carrie with the invites this weekend and his was on top of the stack. They've invited 386 people! Ah!! It's insane.

Anyhoooooo...I wonder if I can make this comment any longer.... Brookings got an award at the National Debate Tournament for being one of the Top Ten schools in the nation in speech/debate - they were #6. Thought you'd like to know.

Dianna

Anonymous said...

We're not entirely doomed, because the comments are directed at certain entities and thereby preserved. Somehow...that's logical, because I am...well, me.
*logic runs rampant upon my insanity*

Dianna said...

Salvador is coming to LifeLight.

chevelleman69 said...

Well, this is quite the interesting thought about a blog.

Hi Kim. How informal does that sound? Anyways, sounds like you had fun this weekend and seems like you are keeping very busy.

I would like to note if I may a certain point about where you were and how you perceive it. You have been awakened to the working class world. The classic example is the carpenters became bedknob turners, all because the demand became very high because consumers buying habits soared. So your job is to continually keep the product that your customers purchase thus ensuring your job place at HyVee. NOW, this if you really don't understand that last part that is quite alright, but this next part I am going to tell you is very simple. Don't let your environment influence you. I don't know if you are like me Kim, but after a while you get into the routines of things so it doesn't take a lot of thinking to accomplish the tasks, so my mind wonders and I think about things that are semi sor t of related to the work place. And yes, one of them was the monotony of what I was doing when really I should have been thinking about how, if possible, was there a way of improving my effort or the way things were done around the workplace and gentle suggest those to those in authority. Also, my attitude affect everyone and vise versa. I keep an upbeat attitude because I feel I need to be a light if someone is in darkness. Its like I am doing at work right now. My goal is to try and get all the guys on my crew saved and help them with the trail that they are facing. My attitude lifts everyones spirits. Let me recant that last statement. It is God who shiens through me that everyone sees. Brad Bargen, the president of the company, pulled me aside this last Thursday when we returned home and were working on the trucks. He and Chuck, my forman, thanked me for being the way I am, they have never seen someone with an attitude like mine, and they also said that is really affects those I am around. I'm contageous!! :S ;) but in a good way. Now I am not bragging, I give full credit to Gos who has given me this "gift" if you will to better help serve him and get the guys on my crew closer to him. I think in many ways you are much like that when given the chance. ;)

If nothing else, know that I am praying for you and your well being. Satan likes to pray on those that he sees as a threat to him and are bringing people that tiny bit more to Christ. Wow this is a very long comment, please don't fall asleep reading it.

Take care
Jesse