So says Mr. McKinney, director of the Brooking Area Summer Community Band, whenever we actually sound good or he wants to get us really fired up. I like playing in the community band because it gives me a chance to keep music going during the summer. Plus, the people there are just fun. Most of them are older people who have been playing all their lives, with a few of us younger folks still playing in school trying to keep fresh during break. Strangely enough, there aren’t very many flutes this year. So I guess it’s a good thing I’m here to play this summer. Last night we had our weekly rehearsal and it went about like always: questionable tuning, scrap one piece, tell the saxes to play softer. And of course, Mr. McKinney making the same stupid jokes he makes every year. Ah, some things in life never change. Our first concert is this coming Sunday night, and I guess we’re pretty much ready. A military band is also playing with us, after us I should say, which is good, because I certainly wouldn’t want to follow them. ;) The only sad thing is, my family won’t be here for the concert. They’re going to Duluth to see more family. Aunt Janet lives there, Aunt Myrlene is visiting and so is Grandma Elsie. (That would be my mom’s sisters and mother, for anyone who didn’t already know.) So my parents and Kevin are driving up and leaving me home for the weekend. Not because of the concert, I would survive missing that. My manager is also going out of town this weekend so I need to work. In fact, I’m getting more practice at closing, since that’s what I’ll be doing this weekend, both Friday and Saturday night. Oh yeah, and I love my job and my boss. She told me again today how well I’m doing and how much she appreciates me. Woot! Of course, that’s at least somewhat prompted by the fact that she got a call today from the girl whose job I took. Apparently she left without notice to take a job at Valley Fair and suddenly wants her job back. Yeah right. So instead, I’m getting all sorts of hours, which rocks.
May the Force be with you.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

3 comments:
That's so cool that you get to play with older people as well as younger. I've always wanted to play music, but my instrument of choice was already taken growing up.
I'm sorry to hear that everyone will be missing your concert this weekend. I'd go to it, but I'll be camping in Garetson at the time. ;_;
It's surprising that the girl came back. Did she not get her Valley Fair job, or didn't like it? Maybe if she would have given the two weeks notice things wouldn't be quite so harsh. Of course, she wouldn't get her job back though. x3
And also with you.
Al
woot.
I don't know why I wrote that. I just felt like it. Anyhoo.
I would try to come up to the band concert this weekend, but alas, I have no car and my parents are going to Minneapolis (without me) to celebrate my father's 54th birthday. And my mother just told me she forgot how old she was the other day...tee hee. So I'm stuck at home taking care of the MJ.
Oh well. I heard something about ArtFalls coming up...? Are you and your mom coming down or no?
I just realized we both lost our parents to Minnesota this weekend. Dang Minnesotans...
Dianna
Kim! I got a poster for our room today. We were throwing away a bunch of old magazines and I found this one that had an advertisment for RotK. It's of Eowyn and Theoden, as Theoden's dying and it's on thick paper too, so it'll work as a poster. Thought I'd let you know.
Post a Comment