Today I took care of myself. This semester has been incredibly stressful, and lately things keep popping up that demand my attention, which is already spread too thin. And it's not going to get better until May, so there's not much for it but to keep going.
But today was different. I've been feeling below par for a while now, and today I did something about it. Not too long ago I found a coupon online for a half price massage at a totally legit place--it's actually inside a Harvard clinic. I've had a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders lately, so I figured I would give it a try (one thing I seem to be missing in my new group of friends is someone who can give me a neck rub). I'm so glad I went! Lili at New England Medical Massage is incredible. The experience itself was enormously relaxing, and when I left an hour later I was way more energized than when I went in. The price without a coupon would be well out of my range (though they do offer a 25% discount to students), but I would definitely recommend her. She also gave me a few stretches to do to keep my muscles from getting that tight, which is great.
After I left Lili I wandered a few blocks further downtown to Quincy Market and was immediately sorry I hadn't brought my camera. A men's acapella group from Oxford was performing in the square outside the market. They were really good! (I have a definite fondness for men that can sing--especially acapella groups) They sang the most random material, but with their level of talent they could sing nursery rhymes and we would be impressed. I took pictures on my phone, but sadly, that means I can't share them with you--sorry!
When the singers dispersed, I wandered to the other side of the building and encountered another street performer. He was dressed in orange and hopping on a pogo stick. Apparently he does "extreme pogo sticking" and was on America's Got Talent a while back. He also thinks he's funier than he really is, but I still enjoyed watching.
Oh, and the Big Apple Circus is in town for the next three weeks. Oddly enough, it's right in the middle of downtown Boston. The tent is set up less than 100 yards from the Government Center T stop, right by all the government buildings. I guess I'm just used to circuses setting up in a field right outside of town, but you really can't do that in a city like Boston. That I should be able to go get a proper picture of before it leaves town.
And on the way back I stopped at the art store to pick up a frame and ended up winning a free tote bag. There was a prize wheel just inside the door, and when I spun it landed on that instead of a coupon for a percentage off my purchase. Then there was real ice cream in the cafeteria--all in all a good day.
And now, quick before the good mood all this induced slips away, I need to make a list of things to accomplish in the next few days to keep up with all the things that are due and happening next week.
Oh, and my friend Tierney, who I took to the emergency room last week, had emergency gall bladder surgery yesterday. As far as I know she's doing fine, but her parents are taking her home to Connecticut until the middle of next week, and this is a bad time of the semester to be missing class. Prayers for her--and those of us who are supposed to be working on projects with her--would be appreciated.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

1 comment:
Sounds like a good day!!! I'm glad you shared part of it with me through texts/phone call. :D
Post a Comment