David and Josiah have finally made it out to Boston! They got into town on Sunday, but I didn't get to see them until today. Since I have Tuesday mornings free, I met them at the Prudential Center for ice cream. It was also free cone day at Ben & Jerry's, which was a great excuse to get together. I tried their new Peanut Butter Cookie Dough flavor, and it was delicious. David wanted to go through the line again, but we didn't think that was a good idea. We could have walked to one of the other nearby locations, but instead the guys showed me where they're staying right now. It's a tiny third floor walk-up above a FedEx store just a few blocks from the Pru, and I'm pretty sure I could find it again if I tried. They plan to move to a better place as soon as they find employment, which will hopefully happen pretty soon.
I couldn't stay at their place very long because I had to be back on campus for class at 2:30. They offered to walk me back to the T station, which was very gentlemanly of them, but on the way it started raining--absolutely pouring. I had an umbrella, but they didn't (even though I told them before they moved out here they would need one). I'm pretty sure they were going to make that purchase as soon as I left them. Oddly enough, it wasn't raining by the school when I got off the T. Go figure. But it did rain all evening and is likely to again tomorrow.
Cataloging was actually pretty good today. I didn't think learning about Library of Congress classification and Cutter numbers would be interesting, but it really made sense to me. At least, more so than when we talked about Dewey last week. We were doing in-class exercises at the end of class, and I got to leave class early because I was the first one done. Joudrey saw me sitting there not working and asked if I was done. I nodded, so he had me bring up my answers so he could check them. Since they were all right, there was no reason for me to stay and wait for the rest of the class to finish. That made it a good day. I just hope he doesn't think I'm going to be a cataloger now. Because I'm not. For me, cataloging is like math. I may understand it and even be pretty good at it if I give it my full attention, but it's not what I want to do with my time.
Speaking of time, I really don't have much of it right now. So here's a quick weekend recap:
Friday--Led discussion in Collective Memory and confirmed that my professor (and advisor) still doesn't know my name (this makes me miss my professor friends at USF who would never have let that happen). The art show opening was a success--we actually had a decent turnout
Saturday--Colleges of the Fenway carnival on the Simmons Res Campus--lots of free stuff, including a concert from Parker House and Theory, who have made it onto my list of bands to watch.
Sunday--A series of frustrating events led me to go to Christina's church instead of my usual service at Park Street--I enjoyed the service, and their building is absolutely beautiful.
Monday--Boston Marathon. Apparently it does come pretty near campus (Kenmore Square), but I couldn't watch because I had to work at the library. Go figure.
Now I leave you to dive back into my Collective Memory project on King Arthur--it's due this week and we have quite a bit left to do. Somehow we'll make it.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment