Yes, I am referring to that wonderful course known as Honors Seminar. Kirby keeps making up rules as he goes along, and it was starting to really frustrate some of my classmates. And yes, I did actually say that in class today. Far from being mad, Kirby liked my metaphor so much that he gave me essay points for it. This was great, because there was no way I was going to have an essay done by 5:00 tonight to email him for this week. No, this afternoon was devoted to a much better cause: Amanda. Amanda's grandmother is in the hospital right now after a stroke. Today I was her much-needed diversion from all the stress of that situation. I was just glad I could spend time with her. Usually I would have choir in the afternoon, but Krause is out of town for a funeral, which means I also don't have class tomorrow.
It's amazing how perfect the timing has been for pretty much everything in the past few weeks. It's given me a chance to slow down for once and not be driven completely insane. I mean, what with the concert and all, you'd think I would be busier and more stressed, but I really wasn't. It almost seemed like I had less to do. I mean, there were still things I didn't get done, but it ended up that it didn't matter. I didn't get my music theory homewok done on time, but we didn't correct those pages in class until a few days latter, so it didn't matter, and I've got more time still to read my chapters for Medieval history because Dr. Herman as taking a lot longer than planned to lecture through them. Of course, this peace is rather tenuous, what with classes and rehearsals every day and working in the writing center, but for the moment all is well. i'll look back wistfully on these weeks once we start musical rehearsals in a few weeks. Some of my friends are already attending rehearsal every night, and I don't know how they keep up with it all. Those of us in the pit have yet to see the music and won't have rehearsals until next week or the week after. I don't even want to think about what it will be like when we do our eight performances in five days.
In Honors Seminar today we were looking at a poem that spoke of the importance of empty space in a fire, that there needs to be space between the logs for flame to thrive there. It's like that with life too. We can pile activities into our lives thinking they will make us better people or make our lives more rewarding, but there comes a time when all of the stuff we pile on only makes the flame die out. That's why it is so important to be able to take time off to relax. When my fire is in danger of being snuffed, God is notorious for forcing me to let it all go. I'm also learning to follow his leading before things get that bad, and then he keeps the problems from building up that way. It's amazing how much better life is when I'm following God closely rather than trying to figure things out for myself. I know it's cliche, but God's timing really is perfect.
And now, with Dianna at work and the room to myself, the time seems perfect to make a little music.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

1 comment:
Buenos días, Ylrebmik!
Post a Comment