Sunday, February 15, 2009

February weekend

So, yesterday was actually pretty fun. I managed to not think about what holiday it was for most of the day, which was a relief.

I was going to lock myself in my room and get some writing done, but that ended up not happening. At brunch I can into Christina, who informed me she and Jen were going shopping that afternoon. Well, I tagged along with them for a tour of Boston's best thrift shops and had a pretty good time, even if I didn't find what I was looking for (I did get a pair of fuzzy slippers to wear around the dorm, so it wasn't a total failure. I almost bought a swimsuit to replace mine, which is wearing out, but it wasn't quite right, so that search is still continuing.).

Getting downtown was more interesting than usual. Going to the Longwood T stop is a bad idea with Christina--she seems to be cursed to always just barely miss the train there. Really, the station's design works against us, since we have to double back pretty far to get from the steps over the hill up to the end of the platform where the train actually stops. Well, we were almost there when the train pulled up yesterday, and we refused to miss it. So we scrambled up and over the muddy embankment, to skip the doubling-back routine. Well, I made it over on the first time, but Christina and Jen had to go down a bit farther and try where it wasn't so steep and then run to the train door. I took my time getting my Charlie card out to keep the door open for them, and they made it just fine. Of course, we all had mud on our shoes, but they were worse off than me. We entertained our fellow travelers for a few moments as Christina dug some tissues out of her purse and we cleaned up our shoes, but soon another passenger became the entertainment, as he jammed away to the music in his headphones.

Returning from our shopping excursion, I bought Girl Scout cookies from a table set up in the Copley subway station. At least I won't miss out on them this year! When we got back to campus, the cafeteria was all decked out for Valentine's Day, and all of us girls gor carnations. Mine is a very dark red, and it makes me happy to see it on my desk (I even had a vase for it--one more useful cast-off from Tetima). After dinner I spent the night by myself, writing letters and watching a favorite movie to pass the time.

This morning I went to church early to help out in the Park Street Church library. They're in the process of reorganizing the collection and putting barcodes on all the books to have an automated checkout system. I spent about an hour putting barcode stickers on books after being shown where everything was. After this project is finished, I'm not sure what they'll want me to do, but I'm more than willing to go to church an hour early every week if I can be of service. It's about time I got more involved at church instead of just waiting for someone to reach out to me specifically. The only way to really connect with people is to get involved, so I'm finally moving forward on that. It's a great church, and I want to stop feeling like a visitor.

-Kim

No comments: