Well, there's some good news on the job front. I had an interview with the coordinator of the Simmons College writing center (also a GSLS[Library Science will henceforth be referred to by the common acronym, sorry if this causes confusion] student), and a position as a tutor there seems promising. The interview went well, and I think I impressed her with some of my answers and my three years of experience (thanks, Dyer!). The writing center here is a bit more professional than the one at USF--by which I mean that they have their own room to use. They try to keep it open from 9-7 every day but Saturday, apparently, but with only one tutor there most of the time. If I get hired, I would be putting in about 8 hours a week. I really hope this works out, since it is a job I am familiar with. Also, the grad student pay rate is $12/hr, which would be a great help. By the middle of next week I should know if I got the job.
I also have applications out at the Boston Historical Society and the Museum of Fine Arts, plus the Simmons campus library. I hope to hear back soon from at least one of them. My adviser seemed to be concerned that I find a job in a library, or better, an archive as soon as possible. I choose to side with my neighbors who advise taking any job I can get to keep me afloat until something better comes along. That seems very reasonable advice, and I am following it. Besides, my archives class this fall requires a short internship, and once I have that on my resume I'll be far more marketable to libraries and archives. Right now the resume isn't all that impressive, except for my internship at the Old Courthouse Museum last spring. That's probably the most valuable thing I did in my final semester, at least as far as this grad program is concerned.
One of my neighbors gave me a present last night. Well, loaned me something wonderful and may let me keep it. I mentioned that the only book (besides textbooks) I was going to let myself buy this fall is Terry Pratchett's "Making Money", the newest Discworld. Well, Tetima just happened to have a copy, and she doesn't even read Discworld. How weird is that? It's even more interesting because it's an uncorrected proof, not the final book. So there might be slight differences in the end version, and I've already noticed a few typos. I hope she lets me keep it. It's better that I read it now, while I still have some free time, than at the end of the month when it's released in paperback.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment