Today I received through the mail my first acceptance letter from a graduate degree program. I'm pretty stoked about it. Dianna thrust the envelope into my hands as I scurried to band, so I ended up opening and reading it in the midst of warmups. Needless to say, I couldn't really concentrate on music for the first half of rehearsal.
The school that was so quick to respond was the Pratt Institute in New York. It's actually the school I'm least likely to decide to go to because of location and price, but it's still a thrill to know that they would welcome me. And now that I know I have at least one place I could go next fall, I can breathe a little easier and actually think about the future again. I still don't have an answer when people ask me what I'm doing next year, but now I know for certain that I will be pursuing my degree somewhere and not flailing about or working in some bank. Pratt actually sent me a catalog about a week ago, and I'm liking their program more and more. (I'm still not so sure about the prospect of living in New York, but the program is enticing) They offer classes in museum librarianship. With my experience interning at the Old Courthouse Museum, I'm beginning to think that being a museum librarian might not be half bad. Of course, I could always fall back on the idea of working in the Library of Congress (a dream inspired by the second National Treasure movie) or a random archive somewhere.
At any rate, I'm in no position to make a decision until I've heard from the other schools. So in a month or so you will all become my sounding board as I waffle and reason and dither and finally leap. Be forewarned.
But the future is bright. The future exists. I can look forward and acknowledge its existence with less fear and more untainted curiosity. That is the best feeling of all.
-Kim
Librarian, You're a grand old
12 years ago

1 comment:
Congratulations, Kim! I'm thrilled for you.
gad
Post a Comment