Thursday, February 08, 2007

life happens

Okay, so it took a little longer than anticipated to get around to writing this post. Oh well. As Jane Jewel said, life happens. In this case, "life" refers to the spring musical here at USF. We're getting into full swing with rehearsals now, with the show a week out. Last night we put the cast and musicians together for the first time. It was a little rough, but it's so good to have that taken care of so early for once. From here on out things can only get better, and we actually have more than one rehearsal to do it in.

On a similar note, we found another violin player for the pit orchestra. She's a freshman, and she plays very well. So well, in fact, that she would be better than me, had she had the music as long as I've had it. At first I wasn't sure if I could handle her upstaging me, but she's not even trying too. She keeps worrying about playing things right, and tells me how relieved she is that I'm taking all the top notes and solos. Wow. That impresses me so much. Sure, she's never done a musical before, so in that respect it makes sense that I should take the lead, but she's helping me as much as I'm helping her. Even when she was first sightreading, having her next to me gave me more confidence to play out on some of the more difficult sections. This musical is proving to be just as fun and meaningful as the last one, and I can't wait until we get really good at it.

As for my novel, well, I've not been working on it yet. With the musical right now, I barely have time to keep up with my courses, let alone throw in extra work on top of it. But that doesn't mean I haven't been writing. Taking advanced composition this semester is giving me plenty of opportunities to write new things. Just the other day, after reading something Dyer gave us about freewriting, I sat down and started writing the draft of a short story that has been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now. If not for the essay I read, I might not have started the draft for some time. It's just too bad it doesn't fit the assignment that's due tomorrow. Oh well, I guess I can make time for that sort of writing too. My plan is to start carving out time for editing once the musical has passed. Until then, I think the theatre may own my soul. Hopefully I'll get it back undamaged.

I get distracted so easily. My train of thought keeps stopping to pick up passengers in very strange places, and I'm not even sure how it got there. Since I can't remember anything else of import, I guess we'll call this the end of the line.

-Kim

1 comment:

Dianna said...

HAH, I think your last paragraph makes for quite the imagery...hehe. I'm glad to hear things are going well in the musical. It's good for you to take the lead - you certainly are good enough to do it.

Miss you much!