Tuesday, January 16, 2007

another week, another plan

Well, I guess I really can believe that it's winter now. Not only do we have wind chills below zero, there is finally a good layer of snow on the ground. It made for interesting driving going to my writers group on Sunday, but I'm glad to see it nonetheless. After all, now we can maybe go sledding! It's kind of funny to see campus covered in white, because the plowing of sidewalks is rather irregular. And there's already a well-worn path of packed snow from Sully to the caf, because few of us bother to go the long way 'round on the sidewalks. Of course, it's narrow enough that it's currently awkward to pass someone going the other way.

Anyway, back to the activity that is driving my life these days: writing. As I mentioned, my group met this Sunday. It was quite possibly the best meeting we've had. We didn't even get into any specifics on my work, but I think I benefitted more than any other time. We were discussing editing more generally, though I did bring up some specific things in Caleb's work, which led to a lengthy discussion on the design of a musical instrument. We all even seemed to be getting along better, which may have had something do to with the fact that we were sitting closer together than we usually do. Anyway, everything we discussed left me feeling energized and excited to get back to work, and with a new plan for getting it done. I'm still going to keep track of how much time I spend working, but the real measure of success will be the word count. Professional writers (including Caleb from my group) write about 2000 words a day. They can reach that number in only a couple hours, and then they spend the rest of the day editing and experiencing life to get more material. It takes me quite a bit longer to make it to the 2000 word mark, but since I'm free of any other obligations, I'm still determined to reach the daily goal. When spring semester starts everything will change again, but for now this can really work. And it will ensure that I finish in time. Today I wrote an entire chapter, which feels great. Actually, it's parts of two chapters, but that's pretty much the same thing. Now I'm rambling, and I think I've lost track of what I was initially trying to tell you. Oh well. It probably doesn't matter...

-Kim

No comments: