Friday, November 10, 2006

purple flowers from God


I went to Wal-Mart the other day. Coming back out to my car I found the most amazing artificial flowers lying in the empty spot next to my car. They're huge and ugly and I love them! Since they came out of nowhere, I like to think of them as flowers from God. Hey, a girl likes to get flowers now and again, and who better to get them from?

On a somewhat related note, I've been reading a great book lately. It's called "If Singleness is a Gift, What's the Return Policy?" (Now, don't laugh. If you're just going to laugh, then don't even bother reading the rest.) It's actually a really good book written by two single, Christian women. And no, it's not about how to find a guy to marry. It's about how to take advantage of our single years and not waste them. I'm only about halfway through the book right now, but already I'm seeing things a bit differently. I mean, I've been slowly moving in this direction over the past year or so, but now I can finally understand why. And explain why, since I know some people are going to have questions.

Here's what I've realized: it is such a blessing to be single! Right now I have so many things going on in my life--schoolwork, music, writing, deepening my relationship with Christ--that I, quite literally, don't even have time for a boyfriend. Or if we turn that statement around then, because I'm not wasting my time chasing guys, I can put more of myself into what really matters in life. Even though there are times I find it hard to spend time in the Word, I've been learning more from God in the past year than ever before. And I'm finally getting serious about my writing. Writing stories is what God has gifted me for, and I've been foolish to let that go by the wayside for so long. (I've been talking to Kirby lately, and he's been reminding me to relax and focus on the things that really matter in life.)

Frankly, at this point I'm prepared to remain single for quite a long time. I at least intend to stay this way until I finish my schooling, which is an undetermined ammount of time at this point. I still have no idea what career path God has picked out for me, but that should become clearer as I continue to walk with him day by day. Who knows? Maybe the writing thing will take off. Maybe I really will become a librarian. My life is a story that hasn't been finished yet. The Author only lets me live it page by page, so I just trust that what he has coming later is more than I could ever imagine.

And before anybody asks, this is not a reaction to my brother's engagement. As I said, I've been thinking this way for quite a while now, though it has given me more food for thought. I am thrilled for Kevin, even though I still don't claim to understand his thought processes. Besides, its not like I'm vowing to never get married. I'm just not gonna even think about it for the next couple of years. No, I won't get lonely. How could I, whith all the amazing friends I have to support me, both here at USF and at home. Besides, the King of kings is passionately pursuing my heart every day. And he gives me flowers. What more could a girl ask for?

-Kim

1 comment:

Dianna said...

i am very sneaky. mwhahha.